From: Adam James <atj@××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] teamspeak2-server-bin segfaulting
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:45:34
1 On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:40:56 +1030 Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Hmm... I've had a search of the forums. People have been having
5 > similar problems, but not the same as mine. Seems there's a problem
6 > with the Borland compiler (which I assume the binary was compiled
7 > with) and it putting code into the .data section. However I have
8 > played with chpax and paxctl (for paxctl I had to convert the binary,
9 > since it didn't have a pax header). It seems turning protections
10 > on/off made no difference, it still dies at the same point with the
11 > same error. I tried diff'ing the different strace outputs, the only
12 > thing that seemed to change were memory addresses (as I would expect
13 > with random memory layout).
14 >
15 > I'm new to this level of playing with binaries, so excuse me if
16 > anything above doesn't make sense.
17
18 Are you running teamspeak on a 64-bit kernel with a processor that
19 supports the NX bit (`grep nx /proc/cpuinfo`)?
20
21 On my hardened amd64 system, ts will not run at all, even with all
22 protections disabled via chpax. However, when using chpax to disable
23 PAGE_EXEC on an i386 system, ts will start. This led me to believe that
24 on architectures where the NX bit is supported natively by the
25 kernel/Pax [1], the protection cannot be disabled on a per-binary
26 basis. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clarify this?
27
28 I switched to ventrilo in the end, it runs without modification and
29 the sound quality is significantly better.
30
31 -atj
32
33 [1]