From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] teamspeak2-server-bin segfaulting
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:06:01
1 On 9 Jan 2007 at 9:43, Adam James wrote:
2
3 > On my hardened amd64 system, ts will not run at all, even with all
4 > protections disabled via chpax. However, when using chpax to disable
5 > PAGE_EXEC on an i386 system, ts will start. This led me to believe that
6 > on architectures where the NX bit is supported natively by the
7 > kernel/Pax [1], the protection cannot be disabled on a per-binary
8 > basis. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clarify this?
9
10 i just posted an explanation for this behaviour and would also
11 add here that in the vanilla kernel there's a way to control
12 (simulate) the older 'read implies exec' behaviour (which would
13 be an alternative to hexediting the program header): it's
14 determined by the PT_GNU_STACK program header. if it's not
15 present or specifies RWE rights then the 'read implies exec'
16 personality will be automatically turned on (that is, when
17 PaX/MPROTECT is already disabled on the binary). so execstack -s
18 may also get such apps to work.
22 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list