From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: pageexec@××××××××.hu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] teamspeak2-server-bin segfaulting
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 07:27:17
1 On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:43:33 +0000
2 Adam James <atj@××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 >...
5 > Are you running teamspeak on a 64-bit kernel with a processor that
6 > supports the NX bit (`grep nx /proc/cpuinfo`)?
7 >
8 > On my hardened amd64 system, ts will not run at all, even with all
9 > protections disabled via chpax. However, when using chpax to disable
10 > PAGE_EXEC on an i386 system, ts will start. This led me to believe
11 > that on architectures where the NX bit is supported natively by the
12 > kernel/Pax [1], the protection cannot be disabled on a per-binary
13 > basis. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can clarify this?
14
15 I don't know what the problem is that you're seeing with teamspeak on
16 amd64, but on NX architectures, the PaX flags should work just as well
17 as they do on x86.
20 > I switched to ventrilo in the end, it runs without modification and
21 > the sound quality is significantly better.
22 >
23 > -atj
24 >
25 > [1]