From: Tom Hendrikx <tom@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Converting new install to hardened (glibc problem)?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 10:57:58
1 Nedim Cholich wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > This is my first email to the list and my first attempt at installing
5 > hardened Gentoo (I've been using Gentoo for 4 years now).
6 <snip>
7 >
8 > I have a fresh install of Gentoo 2006.1 and I'm trying to convert it to
9 > hardened. I have followed instructions and changed the profile, added
10 > USE flags and when I try to recompile the toolchain it wants to
11 > downgrade the glibc, which is, of course, not allowed.
12
13 I ran into this problem also a while ago, and after some testing,
14 solving this problem actually is quite easy, considering your 4 years of
15 Gentoo experience and also considering it's a clean install.
16
17 1) Get yourself a nice 2006.0 install cd
18 2) Wipe your clean install, and start a new one using the 2006.0 cd.
19 3) Do a stage 1 install from this cd, setting your profile and flags
20 right from the beginning.
21
22 Since the initial 2006.0 environment contains an older glibc version
23 (glibc-2.3.6-r4 says my emerge history), there is no need to downgrade.
24 Just be sure not to remerge glibc before setting the hardened profile,
25 so you don't upgrade by accident.
26
27 Worked for me twice in last 3 months :)
28
29 Tom