From: Nedim Cholich <nedim.cholich@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Converting new install to hardened (glibc problem)?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:43:53
1 On 1/7/07, Tom Hendrikx <tom@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > Nedim Cholich wrote:
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > This is my first email to the list and my first attempt at installing
9 > > hardened Gentoo (I've been using Gentoo for 4 years now).
10 > <snip>
11 > >
12 > > I have a fresh install of Gentoo 2006.1 and I'm trying to convert it to
13 > > hardened. I have followed instructions and changed the profile, added
14 > > USE flags and when I try to recompile the toolchain it wants to
15 > > downgrade the glibc, which is, of course, not allowed.
16 >
17 > I ran into this problem also a while ago, and after some testing,
18 > solving this problem actually is quite easy, considering your 4 years of
19 > Gentoo experience and also considering it's a clean install.
20 >
21 > 1) Get yourself a nice 2006.0 install cd
22 > 2) Wipe your clean install, and start a new one using the 2006.0 cd.
23 > 3) Do a stage 1 install from this cd, setting your profile and flags
24 > right from the beginning.
25 >
26 > Since the initial 2006.0 environment contains an older glibc version
27 > (glibc-2.3.6-r4 says my emerge history), there is no need to downgrade.
28 > Just be sure not to remerge glibc before setting the hardened profile,
29 > so you don't upgrade by accident.
30 >
31 > Worked for me twice in last 3 months :)
34 Ok. I found stage3 of 2006.0. Is there a problem with using the latest
35 portage snapshot with this 2006.0 (and the hardened profile from it)?
36
37 Thanks.