From: Darknight <darknight7@×××××××.it>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Adding ipv6 USE flag by default
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:35:25
1 2011-02-10 21:03:01 Michael Orlitzky
2 > On 02/09/11 22:09, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 > > Hi everyone,
4 > >
5 > > Jan Kundrat asked on gentoo-dev why hardened removes ipv6 from its
6 > > profiles. To be honest, I see no good reason. I want to add it back.
7 > > Before I do, does anyone in the community know of any issues with
8 > > hardened + ipv6? I don't know of any and all my servers have it
9 > > enables. So, I'm going to add it back in about 1 week.
10 >
11 > I don't think there are any issues with it. The only argument I know of
12 > is that it increases the attack surface for a feature that 0% + epsilon
13 > of people use.
14
15 Tests done by a colleague show that, right now, the amount of inbound ipv6
16 traffic on his systems is none but I can perfectly understand your concerns
17 even if they should apply only to the network stack itself, as the daemons
18 listening to v6 should be the same that listen to v4, once configured for dual
19 stack.
20
21 Anyway, ipv6 has a chance to become relevant by the end of the year as China
22 and India (among others) won't have quite enough v4 addresses in stock to
23 support the growth of their networks.