From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Sabayon from Arch and systemd
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:02:45
1 On 12/04/2012 04:46 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
2 > Sabayon has a hardened kernel and emerge as well as binaries.
3 >
4 > Is it possible to reduce compilation for hardened gentoo by using
5 > Sabayon and how close to hardened Gentoo could I get.
6
7 Pretty close, and depending on what you want to do, probably good
8 enough. Sabayon has been adopting hardening of the toolchain and
9 binaries built with it --- I've given them some advise in this regard.
10 I don't think they've adopted hardened-sources on their images, but its
11 there in emerge and they've made noise in that direction.
12
13 Having said that, what's the compile issue? It should take just as long
14 to build the kernel on sabayon as gentoo, all else being the same.
17 > I am currently using arch and I am happy with the timely package
18 > updates, however I am not happy with the move to systemd and prefer
19 > Gentoo's position of user power to Arches upstream and dev power. This
20 > lack of synergy with myself has surprised me as so many devs list
21 > OpenBSD as a favourite OS. Opera failing to start with mprotect enabled
22 > is also pushing me to migrate sooner with the final push being a panic
23 > today in init just after freeing kernel memory by
24 > CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_KERN_LOCKOUT introduced in either 3.2.33 or 3.2.34.
27 This is a serious problem for lots of people. While some Gentoo devs
28 did not agree with our fork of systemd, they do agree that they will not
29 be forced to use systemd and will continue to isolate udev out of it.
30 Having looked at that code --- I'm one of the forkers --- I ask myself,
31 how much longer before that isolation becomes a rats' nest.
32
33 I'm not sure what "gentoo" is except a group of devs who are brought
34 together by portage, a package delivery and build system. Other than
35 that, its pretty much anything. Put and -alt after it and gentoo is there.
36
37 Anyhow, you'll always find some devs here who are sympathetic to what
38 you want to do, and others that will think you're crazy.
41 > Do you use stable or unstable sources and so firefox 10 or 17 and which
42 > gets updates first?
43 >
44 > Would you say firefox/chromium is usually available to emerge within a
45 > couple of days of release on mozilla.org?
46
47 Get on freenode/#gentoo or #gentoo-chat and ask Anarchy (ie Jory). He
48 does firefox and mozilla products and he is very sympathetic to hardening.
51 > Do you think a migration from arch will have more than a small learning
52 > curve as my available time needs to be kept to a minimum at the
53 > moment?
54 >
55 > Thanks, Kc
56
57 There with great knowledge comes great freedom! <- okay that was bad!
58
59 Gentoo is harder to maintain that arch no doubt. Read the handbook,
60 read man portage, man emerge and man make.conf and you should be good to
61 go. The handbook is at
62
63 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/
68 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
69 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
70 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
71 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
72 GnuPG ID : D0455535