From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Sabayon from Arch and systemd
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 00:02:21
1 On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 06:57:55 -0500
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Is it possible to reduce compilation for hardened gentoo by using
6 > > Sabayon and how close to hardened Gentoo could I get.
7 >
8 > Pretty close, and depending on what you want to do, probably good
9 > enough. Sabayon has been adopting hardening of the toolchain and
10 > binaries built with it --- I've given them some advise in this
11 > regard. I don't think they've adopted hardened-sources on their
12 > images, but its there in emerge and they've made noise in that
13 > direction.
16 So when you say pretty close, do you mean only if you use emerge and
17 hardened sources for everything and not Sabayons binary repos atleast
18 for the time being?
19
20 > Having said that, what's the compile issue? It should take just as
21 > long to build the kernel on sabayon as gentoo, all else being the
22 > same.
23
24 I build a grecurity kernel for arch, sign it, deliver it to a few
25 machines and update userland. I've found packages like parole, alsa
26 instead of pulse, abiword, gnome mixer instead of xfce-mixer and opera
27 (until recently) that work with a fully enabled grsecurity kernel purely
28 to save time building as I have lots of uses for good machines, don't
29 believe in build machines running browsers and wish to minimise time
30 spent updating in any case. OTOH I've heard the major package builds
31 have binaries on gentoo to save users time so maybe the rest of userland
32 will be quite quick to build, I have been meaning to find out on a
33 gentoo test machine. I guess the hardened firefox with JIT disabled
34 isn't a pre-built?
35
36 Sorry for not replying sooner and thanks for the input.