From: gentoo-hardened-ml-01@××××××.org
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened Gentoo + Quake3?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 03:42:11
1 If I paxctl -PS the ioquake3 binary it crashes on startup with the error:
2
3 PAX: execution attempt in: /dev/zero
4
5 logged to the syslog. If I paxctl -ps ioquake3 it runs fine. Of course
6 mprotect is disabled in both cases. Quake3 is really only an example though.
7 I guess my larger question is:
8
9 If I use the SSP-enabled toolchain, I'll loose my ability to toggle this
10 protection off and on at will right? Am I correct that the only work arounds
11 in this case would involve some kind of recompiling with per-package flags,
12 etc.?
13
14 Thank you for your help.
15