From: John Schember <j5483@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened Gentoo + Quake3?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 04:34:19
1 Your getting two different things confused here. Mprotect restrictions
2 via PAX and SSP enabled in the tool chain preform different functions
3 and do not interfere with one another. Nor do they prevent the other
4 from working correctly.
5
6 http://pax.grsecurity.net/docs/mprotect.txt
7 "The goal of MPROTECT is to help prevent the introduction of new
8 executable code into the task's address space."
9
10 http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/
11 "The protection is realized by buffer overflow detection and the
12 variable reordering feature to avoid the corruption of pointers."
13
14 Basically PAX's mprotect restrictions disallow creating executable
15 anonymous mappings, creating executable/writable mappings, making
16 executable/read-only mappings writable, and making non-executable
17 mappings executable.
18
19 SSP introduced variable reordering and placing pointers before buffers
20 to prevent corruption of memory via a stack smashing attack. SSP's
21 changes should not effect the overall functioning of an application
22 unless it does something strange like use a stack smashing attack on
23 itself.
24
25 Using SSP will not prevent you from utilizing paxctl to exempt specific
26 executables from mprotect restrictions.
27
28 John Schember
31 On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 19:40 -0800, gentoo-hardened-ml-01@××××××.org