From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] what RLIMIT_STACK mean?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:56:55
1 Hi!
2
3 On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 05:46:28PM +0200, Javier Mart?nez wrote:
4 > I think it's not a good idea to do what you have done, people answers
5 > questions if they know the answer and they want to do it (and have
6 > time to do so). Please think that you didn't pay anybody to demand
7 > nothing.
8
9 I understand, but I don't think something was wrong in this case.
10
11 At first, I don't just "demand answers", I also spend my own time
12 contributing to community - answer questions in different maillists,
13 submit to bugzilla, etc. And have enough free soft and documentation on my
14 home website.
15
16 At second, I don't just "refresh" that thread, but add new information
17 about topic which may be important for people who trying to find answer or
18 for people who will search this maillist later looking for same issue.
19
20 > I don't use grsecurity but it seems that cat needs to growth their
21 > stack over the hard limit imposed (look for "ulimit -a") and it's not
22 > permitted (to avoid DOS maybe), look for some grsec resource that
23 > impose limits to your stack and others (as open files, cpu time...),
24 > if it's related to grsec (as it seems to be) you will need to make
25 > this limit bigger.
26
27 Sorry, but this isn't an answer I looking for. I know several ways how to
28 silence it - for example, I can just filter these records from logs.
29 My questions isn't "how to fix it", but "what is it" instead. Before
30 fixing something it's always good idea to understand what and why you're
31 fixing first.
32
33 I don't understand these errors, and that's my problem.
34 If it's just "ulimit" thing, then it mean kernel should KILL these
35 processes. But this isn't happens - or there should be other noticeable
36 issues like undelivered mail or so, which I don't notice for now.
39 WBR, Alex.