From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Which laptop compatible with hardened-workstation ?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 02:03:39
1 Dale Pontius wrote:
2 > 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
3 >> Romain BERGE wrote:
4 >>> Hey list,
5 >>>
6 >>> I am planning buying a laptop. I would like to install a hardened
7 >>> (workstation) profile on it.
8 >>>
9 >>> Which hardware features/components should I take care of ? (to be
10 >>> the most compatible with hardened) In the opposite, are there
11 >>> some hardware components/brand to avoid ?
12 >>>
13 >>> Thanks
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >> Went through a similar exercise a few years ago; concluded that
17 >> one:
18 >>
19 >> - first chooses the laptop that meets his needs (I wanted a 2
20 >> pounder with good screen and graphics to carry about in a back
21 >> pack, with frequent stops at hotspots)
22 >>
23 >> - second googles about for linux success/failure stories about that
24 >> laptop. Gentoo has some great documentation and explanations
25 >> concerning Linux; Ubuntu has some great user lists regarding
26 >> specific hardware. My Sony was 95% Linux good to go, with detailed
27 >> Ubuntu discussions about xorg.conf.
28 >>
29 >> - third if it works on Linux, it'll likely work for hardened. (this
30 >> was true for 32bit on my laptop; 64 may be different; I'll know
31 >> shortly )
32 >>
33 >> FWIW, IMHO a hardened profile, along with other precautions, makes
34 >> a lot of sense on a laptop as there is all sorts of mischief
35 >> occurring at anonymous, college and Saturday-afternoon hotspots -
36 >> some of it quite sophisticated due to "pen test" software. It's a
37 >> wild west that you'll not experience on your firewalled desktop.
38 >>
39 > Just a side comment on this... I have scripts that figure out where
40 > the heck I am when networking comes up, and based on that decide
41 > what, if any, service(s) to bring up. When the current network is on
42 > "other", NO services are started at all - even X is started with
43 > "-tcp nolisten" so there are no open ports. Scratch that - dnsmasq
44 > is listening on loopback, but that's it.
45 >
46 > Maybe it's not all that's necessary, but it's a good first line of
47 > defense.
48 >
49 > Dale Pontius
50
51 Heh.....clever idea; makes good sense to me. :-)
52
53 (Some might argue for a VPN so as to avoid DNS poisoning or an
54 attack against Mara directly - guess that would depend upon the nature
55 of one's business at the hotspot. FWIW, I run unbound (DNS) in its own
56 jail. I'll shut it down and use a VPN when doing banking/other
57 sensitive stuff)
58
59 (Given I use individual, hardened (grsecurity) jails for anything that
60 connects outside, I can't totally block X - but I do firewall it; and
61 also confine it through xhost to local host only.
62
63 As far as running services - nope! Heh.... mindful of poisoning or
64 buffer-overflow attacks, I'll passively monitor the place with kismet
65 for a minute or two before announcing my presence, and then bring up
66 DHCPCD in a hardened jail for 3 seconds - long enough to set the network
67 assignments - then automatically kill it. Arpon can passively monitor
68 external ARP activity.)