From: Dale Pontius <DEPontius@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Which laptop compatible with hardened-workstation ?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:06:25
1 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > Romain BERGE wrote:
3 >> Hey list,
4 >>
5 >> I am planning buying a laptop. I would like to install a hardened
6 >> (workstation) profile on it.
7 >>
8 >> Which hardware features/components should I take care of ? (to be the
9 >> most compatible with hardened) In the opposite, are there some
10 >> hardware components/brand to avoid ?
11 >>
12 >> Thanks
16 > Went through a similar exercise a few years ago; concluded that one:
17 >
18 > - first chooses the laptop that meets his needs (I wanted a 2 pounder
19 > with good screen and graphics to carry about in a back pack, with
20 > frequent stops at hotspots)
21 >
22 > - second googles about for linux success/failure stories about that
23 > laptop. Gentoo has some great documentation and explanations concerning
24 > Linux; Ubuntu has some great user lists regarding specific hardware. My
25 > Sony was 95% Linux good to go, with detailed Ubuntu discussions about
26 > xorg.conf.
27 >
28 > - third if it works on Linux, it'll likely work for hardened. (this was
29 > true for 32bit on my laptop; 64 may be different; I'll know shortly )
30 >
31 > FWIW, IMHO a hardened profile, along with other precautions, makes a
32 > lot of sense on a laptop as there is all sorts of mischief occurring at
33 > anonymous, college and Saturday-afternoon hotspots - some of it quite
34 > sophisticated due to "pen test" software. It's a wild west that you'll
35 > not experience on your firewalled desktop.
36 >
37 Just a side comment on this... I have scripts that figure out where the
38 heck I am when networking comes up, and based on that decide what, if
39 any, service(s) to bring up. When the current network is on "other", NO
40 services are started at all - even X is started with "-tcp nolisten" so
41 there are no open ports. Scratch that - dnsmasq is listening on
42 loopback, but that's it.
43
44 Maybe it's not all that's necessary, but it's a good first line of defense.
45
46 Dale Pontius