From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Weird coincidental PAX crashes
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 19:39:18
1 On 05/10/2014 09:43, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 05/10/14 07:39, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >> On 05/10/2014 07:14 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I think I ran into this, too, in 3.11. It takes a few days of uptime before
6 >>> it happens. Running 3.13.x now on my x64 machine and haven't ran into it
7 >>> again. So I second the suggestion to upgrade your kernel.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> I couldn't come up with a better idea, so last night I upgraded
11 >> everything to hardened-sources-3.13.6-r3.
14 > Unfortunately I don't know what the "this" is because that trace stripped
15 > all symbols --- at least in kernel land. In useland its pretty obvious:
16 > refcount overflow detected in: syslog-ng. So some syscall initiated by
17 > syslog-ng is hitting up against the overflow. An strace might tell us what
18 > syscall, but it might be hard to go from there to where in the kernel the
19 > overflow happens.
20 >
21 > Not to sound like a snotty dev, but please open bugs with these oopses so we
22 > have a record in bugzilla. Email just buries this info.
23
24 For me, I never had an actual oops. Just a note in dmesg that pax was
25 killing command-line processes at random. Running services didn't seem to
26 be affected, but I could go run grep or something and it'd just abruptly
27 terminate.
28
29 Kinda hard to file a bug on that and not have it closed as WONTFIX :)
32 Joshua Kinard
33 Gentoo/MIPS
34 kumba@g.o
35 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
36
37 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
38 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
39
40 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic