From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Weird coincidental PAX crashes
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 13:42:14
1 On 05/10/14 07:39, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 05/10/2014 07:14 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I think I ran into this, too, in 3.11. It takes a few days of uptime before
5 >> it happens. Running 3.13.x now on my x64 machine and haven't ran into it
6 >> again. So I second the suggestion to upgrade your kernel.
9 > I couldn't come up with a better idea, so last night I upgraded
10 > everything to hardened-sources-3.13.6-r3.
13 Unfortunately I don't know what the "this" is because that trace
14 stripped all symbols --- at least in kernel land. In useland its pretty
15 obvious: refcount overflow detected in: syslog-ng. So some syscall
16 initiated by syslog-ng is hitting up against the overflow. An strace
17 might tell us what syscall, but it might be hard to go from there to
18 where in the kernel the overflow happens.
19
20 Not to sound like a snotty dev, but please open bugs with these oopses
21 so we have a record in bugzilla. Email just buries this info.
24 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
25 Chair of Information Technology
26 D'Youville College
27 Buffalo, NY 14201