From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: Alexander Gabert <pappy@××××××××××.cx>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] kernel building with stack-protector
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:47:27
1 On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Alexander Gabert wrote:
2
3 > can be done when the specs file uses ssp.o containing glibc independent
4 > __guard and __stack_smash_handler
5 > i already said i will work on it, i promise ;-)
6 >
7 > if hardened-gcc can support native kernel compiling, such kernel patches
8 > would be not needed any more also.
9 >
10 > how is uclib going?
11 I have answered already yesterday, but I have the feeling, that you don't
12 get all my mails (sent directly to pappy at gentoo.org), I am really
13 waiting for an answer from you related to ssp_x86.S and ssp.c
14
15 > do you also plan on dietlibc?
16 Not really, I have built earlier small static binaries like
17 (un)compressors lha,unarj,unrar,zoo,unzoo,unzip for use with amavisd-new
18 because I had to support different RedHat versions (5.2/7.0/7.3) at the
19 same time and didn't want to build these 3 times.
20
21 I have also used it for djb (and related: fefe, skarnet, superscript)
22 stuff, building small binaries based on libdjb/libowfat. Due to the fact
23 that PIE does not work (maybe yet) for static binaries, I have "dropped"
24 dietlibc for now, use it only for initrd image creation (mkinitrd,
25 modutils), but I will use it probably again, if ET_DYN/PIE will be
26 possible with static binaries too.
27
28 Peter