From: Markus Dittrich <markus@×××××××.edu>
To: Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened and X
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 20:38:09
1 Aaron,
2
3 I recall that I had the same problem at some point.
4 The cause in my case was the pie flag, which enables
5 the DoLoadableServer and MakeDllModules options in
6 the Xorg config file.
7
8 Without pie Xorg compiles and runs just fine.
9
10 best,
11 MARKUS
14 Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@××××××.com> writes:
15 > I've been using hardened (as in pie/ssp + hardened-dev-sources) on one
16 > of my servers for several months now and have been very impressed.
17 >
18 > I decided this morning to do a similar install on my desktop box. I
19 > installed from stage1 and have everything up and running and xorg-x11
20 > installed.
21 >
22 > Originally, when I ran startx, I got errors about I/O permissions.. my
23 > hunch was right and disabling the "Disallow Unpriveledge I/O" kernel
24 > option fixed that. When attempting to run startx now, Xorg complains
25 > about not being able to resolve the driver's symbols (using either the
26 > nvidia driver or the generic vesa driver).
27 >
28 > Btw, I have disabled all PaX flags for /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg with paxctl
29 > just in case, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
30 >
31 > Anyone have any ideas?
32 >
33 > Thanks,