To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] 1G lowmem patch by ck
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 22:35:29
1 On Thursday 05 May 2005 19:36, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > How about for 1 telling us about the patch what it does/where to get
3 > it/what series/. Why it's beneficial for security/other.
4
5 It has no security benefit, and I have no idea why the request was posted here
6 instead of gentoo-dev or someplace more general.
7
8 It allows a full 1GB of system RAM to be used without HIGHMEM support for up
9 to 4GB (or more) enabled in the kernel (the usual limit is around 960MB).
10 Supposedly this slightly increases memory usage speed for systems with
11 exactly 1GB of RAM as the kernel doesn't have to think about high memory
12 paging.
13
14 This patch has benefit ONLY to systems with exactly 1GB of RAM. Systems with
15 any less won't hit high memory anyways, and systems with any more are going
16 to have to use high memory support anyways.
17
18 Regardless of the reasons that the LOWMEM limit is where it is with or without
19 the patch, this patch only lends miniscule performance increase to a very
20 small subset of the user base, and I do not think it should be included in
21 ANY production-level kernel until when/if it is in the vanilla sources.
22 -love, -nitro, and other ricer kernels are the proper place for testing such
23 things.
24
25 Cheers,
26 --
27 Casey Allen Shobe | SeattleServer, Inc.
28 cshobe@×××××××××××××.com | cell 425-443-4653
29 http://www.seattleserver.com
30 --
31 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list