From: "Frühwald Szabolcs" <szab100@××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] 1G lowmem patch by ck
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 00:09:14
1 2005. május 6. 00.36 dátummal Casey Allen Shobe - SeattleServer Mailing Lists
2 ezt írta:
3 > This patch has benefit ONLY to systems with exactly 1GB of RAM.  Systems
4 > with any less won't hit high memory anyways, and systems with any more are
5 > going to have to use high memory support anyways.
6 >
7 > Regardless of the reasons that the LOWMEM limit is where it is with or
8 > without
9
10 I've read that it's now in gentoo-dev-sources, and i think it's important to
11 say its a configurable option in kernel config and marked as experimental..
12 Many users marked it as stable.
13
14 off: I've the latest hardened-sources installed. i found my system in a very
15 unstable state (memory leaks), after one week of serious debugging i found it
16 was because pax enabled (configured exactly as in the hardened pax howto).
17
18 actually the problem was after 0,5-1 hours of uptime all of the ram was
19 getting used and the system started to use swap..and programs started to fly
20 away with out of memory errors.. av load was about 1-3
21
22 of course the server got the same load from outside and inside apps as it was
23 before (avg 0.10-0.30).. the problem appeared after reboot when apache
24 started (in threads mode, with about 80-130 threads at startup). Then i
25 thought its because apache, reemerged glibc with nptl and the problem
26 disappeared..
27 Today i had the same with another thread based traffic-proxy (with nptl too)..
28 Now i turned off Pax and as i guessed the problem disappeard (hopely)
29 forever.. The system is running with avg 80-130Mb of real memory usage (+-
30 buffs)
31
32 so, pax has some serius memory leaks and its in the hardened but none the less
33 is not in vanilla kernels :)
34
35 And there was another buggie with pax.. when i compiled my kernel with highmem
36 support, after 1 min of booting in and starting daemons the kernel just
37 freezed (oops)..
38
39 that was the reason why not to enable highmem and the known lowmem vs highmem
40 performance issues. But now i think i stop using pax for a while..
41
42 szab
45 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list