From: Mansour Moufid <mansourmoufid@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Setting up a (more) secure notebook
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:56:54
1 On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Marcel Meyer <meyerm@××××××.de> wrote:
2 > I mean I can not prevent this potential corrupted kernel from starting and
3 > then accessing my /boot partition. But as long as the "attacker" did not
4 > invest so much work to keep this kernel alive "behind" a kexec call or
5 > starting some virtual machine etc. pp., the newly started kernel should take
6 > full control - and if something different (like another kernel from the USB-
7 > stick) is started, I will recognize that and don't enter the password for the
8 > data.
9 >
10 > So my main question here is: does it make sense to replace the first kernel by
11 > a trusted second one or is it too easy to hide behind such functionality?
12
13 If I understand correctly, your goal is simply to ensure that the
14 kernel on the USB drive doesn't get tampered with? In that case,
15 perhaps a solution would be to keep hashes of it on that same drive,
16 and sign those with, say, a key on a smart card. (The FSFE offers one
17 along with instructions. [1]) You could verify everything at boot
18 time, and if there were discrepancies, custom boot scripts (kept
19 alongside the kernel, also hashed and signed) could prevent the
20 machine from booting, or something along those lines...
21
22 [1] http://fellowship.fsfe.org/card.en.html
25 Mansour Moufid