From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] persistent paxctl -m?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 00:03:37
1 > If you employ GRsecurity's RBAC, you can use PAX flags, like
2 > "PAX_MPROTECT" on a given subject (binary). Take a look at on the example
3 > policy file.
4
5 Do you guys think RBAC or /etc/portage/bashrc is a better choice for
6 this? Maybe RBAC is overkill if this is all I'll be using it for?
7
8 - Grant
11 >>>>> and create executable shell script in that dir:
12 >>>>> mozilla-firefox-bin.postinst
13 >>>>> ---cut---
14 >>>>> #!/bin/bash
15 >>>>> ewarn "Running chpax -m /opt/firefox/firefox-bin to avoid crash on
16 >>>>> flash!"
17 >>>>> chpax -m /opt/firefox/firefox-bin
18 >>>>> ---cut---
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Of course, if you compile firefox instead of using firefox-bin, then
22 >>>> file
23 >>>> should be named mozilla-firefox.postinst and you should use there
24 >>>> paxctl
25 >>>> instead of chpax.
26 >>>>
27 >>> A simple cron job or slightly-less-simple RBAC policy can do the trick.
28 >>> There's no need to mess with portage, imho.
29 >>
30 >> Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I think this type of persistence
31 >> should be built into portage.  Maybe /etc/portage/package.nomprotect.
32 >> Do you agree?  Should I file a bug?
33 >>
34 >> - Grant