From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] ipv6 on by default for hardened profile
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:03:13
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 06/27/2012 03:19 AM, Alex Efros wrote:
5 > Hi!
6 >
7 > On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 02:33:49AM +0200, Francisco Blas Izquierdo
8 > Riera (klondike) wrote:
9 >>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but enabling IPv6 mean needs in
10 >>> supporting two different routing tables and two different
11 >>> firewalls.
12 >> Different routing tables maybe but the firewall is still the
13 >> same, the iptables based one. And with the ipv6 USE you get it.
14 >
15 > By "two different firewalls" I mean needs in supporting two
16 > different sets of firewall rules, one for iptables and second for
17 > ip6tables.
18 >
19 >> Anyway for this to happen you must (and these are all necessary
20 >> conditions): * Have an ipv6 route from the attacker to the
21 >> affected machine * Have ipv6 enable on the kernel. * Have an ipv6
22 >> address assigned accesible by the attacker. * Get the attacker to
23 >> know said address (since bruteforcing the address space is hard
24 >> to say the least). * Have anything listening on that address
25 >> (depending on the attack the icmpv6 server could be it but there
26 >> are other services who listen to ipv6 no matter what you do).
27 >
28 > I've no idea how many people have IPv6 enabled in kernel
29 > unintentionally, but all other conditions in many cases will be
30 > satisfied unintentionally: * route usually exists between two
31 > machines supporting same protocol * ipv6 address may be
32 > automatically assigned by ISP by dhcp/ppp * address may be known
33 > using dns/dyndns, also bruteforcing addresses provided by same ISP
34 > isn't more complicated than bruteforcing IPv4 addresses, because
35 > ISP usually provide them in same predictable way * with ipv6 USE
36 > flag enabled many, if not most, daemons will be listening on IPv6
37 > address without special configuration by admin
38 >
39 > I.e. if you've IPv6 enabled in kernel, and your ISP at some point
40 > will decide to provide IPv6 addresses, with default USE=ipv6 your
41 > system and services may become unintentionally accessible by IPv6.
42 >
43 > So, only real condition from your list is enable/disable IPv6 in
44 > kernel.
45 >
46 >>> BTW, is there exists (Gentoo?) guides/howtos which explain
47 >>> these issues (preferably from "differences from IPv4" point of
48 >>> view) to average admin who know how to setup IPv4 and know
49 >>> nothing about IPv6, and provide minimum recommended
50 >>> configuration for IPv6 routing/firewall? I think enabling IPv6
51 >>> by default should begins from writing such docs.
52 >> # ip6tables -A INPUT -j DROP # ip6tables -A OUTPUT -j DROP #
53 >> ip6tables -A FORWARD -j DROP There you are safe now.
54 >
55 > Safe, but don't working. Do you enable ipv6 USE flag just to force
56 > people to either disable unintentionally enabled IPv6 in kernel
57 > and/or add this ip6tables configuration? I suppose you enable ipv6
58 > USE flag to make it easier for people to start using IPv6. But to
59 > use IPv6 these ip6tables rules doesn't helps - we really need docs
60 > how to setup IPv6 firewall in secure way, written by people who not
61 > just read IPv6 RFCs, but understood all security implications of
62 > IPv6-specific features. Last time I tried to google for such docs
63 > was few years ago, but I found nothing at all.
66 Those who have IPv6 enabled in the kernel unintentionally probably
67 aren't very security minded and probably aren't using Hardened.
68 They're moot. We cannot help reckless individuals.
69
70 As far as I've seen with the ip6tables, the rules are the same. They
71 work the same way as iptables. There's just a bit of an accent to some
72 rules, which is usually the appending of '6',(e.g., icmp6 instead of
73 icmp).
74
75 - --
76 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
77 Gentoo Linux Developer
78 Email : titanofold@g.o
79 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
80 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0