From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] ipv6 on by default for hardened profile
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:02:29
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 02:33:49AM +0200, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
4 > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but enabling IPv6 mean needs in supporting two
5 > > different routing tables and two different firewalls.
6 > Different routing tables maybe but the firewall is still the same, the
7 > iptables based one. And with the ipv6 USE you get it.
8
9 By "two different firewalls" I mean needs in supporting two different sets
10 of firewall rules, one for iptables and second for ip6tables.
11
12 > Anyway for this to happen you must (and these are all necessary conditions):
13 > * Have an ipv6 route from the attacker to the affected machine
14 > * Have ipv6 enable on the kernel.
15 > * Have an ipv6 address assigned accesible by the attacker.
16 > * Get the attacker to know said address (since bruteforcing the address
17 > space is hard to say the least).
18 > * Have anything listening on that address (depending on the attack the
19 > icmpv6 server could be it but there are other services who listen to
20 > ipv6 no matter what you do).
21
22 I've no idea how many people have IPv6 enabled in kernel unintentionally,
23 but all other conditions in many cases will be satisfied unintentionally:
24 * route usually exists between two machines supporting same protocol
25 * ipv6 address may be automatically assigned by ISP by dhcp/ppp
26 * address may be known using dns/dyndns, also bruteforcing addresses
27 provided by same ISP isn't more complicated than bruteforcing IPv4
28 addresses, because ISP usually provide them in same predictable way
29 * with ipv6 USE flag enabled many, if not most, daemons will be listening
30 on IPv6 address without special configuration by admin
31
32 I.e. if you've IPv6 enabled in kernel, and your ISP at some point will
33 decide to provide IPv6 addresses, with default USE=ipv6 your system and
34 services may become unintentionally accessible by IPv6.
35
36 So, only real condition from your list is enable/disable IPv6 in kernel.
37
38 > > BTW, is there exists (Gentoo?) guides/howtos which explain these issues
39 > > (preferably from "differences from IPv4" point of view) to average admin
40 > > who know how to setup IPv4 and know nothing about IPv6, and provide
41 > > minimum recommended configuration for IPv6 routing/firewall? I think
42 > > enabling IPv6 by default should begins from writing such docs.
43 > # ip6tables -A INPUT -j DROP
44 > # ip6tables -A OUTPUT -j DROP
45 > # ip6tables -A FORWARD -j DROP
46 > There you are safe now.
47
48 Safe, but don't working. Do you enable ipv6 USE flag just to force people
49 to either disable unintentionally enabled IPv6 in kernel and/or add this
50 ip6tables configuration? I suppose you enable ipv6 USE flag to make it
51 easier for people to start using IPv6. But to use IPv6 these ip6tables
52 rules doesn't helps - we really need docs how to setup IPv6 firewall in
53 secure way, written by people who not just read IPv6 RFCs, but understood
54 all security implications of IPv6-specific features. Last time I tried to
55 google for such docs was few years ago, but I found nothing at all.
58 WBR, Alex.