From: David Sommerseth <gentoo.list@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: kernel no longer in hardened-development overlay?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:37:44
1 On 20/04/10 14:36, Kerin Millar wrote:
2 >>> I would also disagree that there are some big vulnerabilities just
3 >>> because
4 >>> your "stable" kernel is older. Personally I prefer to stay a little
5 >>> more up
6 >>> to date, but I think there are a good may Redhat and Centos servers
7 >>> running
8 >>> much older kernels than that...
9 >
10 > Except that they don't use vanilla kernels and invest considerable
11 > resources into the process of continually backporting fixes into their
12 > respective patchsets, both security related and otherwise. RHEL has a
13 > 7-year life cycle during which introducing any potentially breaking
14 > changes in the kernel (or changes that may have an adverse impact on
15 > userspace) is simply out of the question.
16
17 Kerin is very much right. The RHEL/CentOS kernels do have a lot of
18 backports from newer kernels. But it's not only security or bug fixes.
19 It's updated drivers and other hardware enablements as well, in
20 addition to new features. RHEL5.4 introduced fully Red Hat supported
21 KVM, something which was just beyond imagination when the first RHEL5
22 release came with 2.6.18. And it still is a 2.6.18 *based* kernel
23 today. But feature-wise, it's a much more modern kernel.
24
25 But in reality, it is not fair to call it a 2.6.18 kernel [1], just
26 because of the enormous amount of backports. And those backports are
27 not allowed to change kABI (kernel application binary interface, which
28 f.ex glibc and all modules uses) at all, so that all applications and
29 services which got installed when installing the first RHEL5.0 was
30 installed, should still work for the next 7 years - guaranteed.
31
32 The Gentoo Hardened project will never be able to really manage that, as
33 Gentoo is not aiming to be an enterprise level distribution like RHEL,
34 CentOS or Novell SLES. So comparing the kernels between Gentoo and
35 enterprise Linux kernels are not a fair comparison at all.
38 kind regards,
39
40 David Sommerseth
43 [1] <http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/03/31/redhat_rhel_5_5/>