From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: kernel no longer in hardened-development overlay?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:37:25
1 On 20/04/2010 00:43, Mansour Moufid wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Ed W<lists@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Can we please avoid annoying the few developers we have working on hardened.
4 >
5 > I didn't mean to come off as critiquing anyone. I am a fan of the
6 > Gentoo Hardened and Security projects. I was only stating my
7 > impressions.
8 >
9 >> I would also disagree that there are some big vulnerabilities just because
10 >> your "stable" kernel is older. Personally I prefer to stay a little more up
11 >> to date, but I think there are a good may Redhat and Centos servers running
12 >> much older kernels than that...
13
14 Except that they don't use vanilla kernels and invest considerable
15 resources into the process of continually backporting fixes into their
16 respective patchsets, both security related and otherwise. RHEL has a
17 7-year life cycle during which introducing any potentially breaking
18 changes in the kernel (or changes that may have an adverse impact on
19 userspace) is simply out of the question.
22 > I disagree. That is a dangerous assertion. It is no secret that most
23 > vulnerabilities in Linux are fixed silently, without ever being
24 > reported as such. Hence why older kernels are more vulnerable. As for
25 > RedHat and CentOS:
26
27 Indeed. I believe that we'll be seeing a GLSA in the not-too-distant
28 future which settles this argument beyond any doubt.
29
30 Cheers,
31
32 --Kerin