From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RIP hardened-sources
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:16:51
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 04:00:39PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 > The only way to preserve this functionality in the long run is to
5 > port it to the mainline kernel. This will not be easy, most likely
6 > not everything will be accepted, some stuff will have to be
7 > reimplemented using another approaches, etc.
8
9 We had 16 years to do this with help of GrSec/PaX developers. It wasn't
10 happened, and it's unlikely happens now unless some huge company decide to
11 spend a lot of resources for this. Maybe Google will do, in the name of
12 increasing Android security. And I'm afraid there are no more options now.
13
14 > But there is no other way. GrSec/PaX team can be trusted no longer.
15 > They ruined all 16 years of good and trustworthy record by what was
16 > done 3 days ago, though the first bells rang 2 years ago when paid
17 > subscription for stable patches was enforced. Even if they will
18 > yield to the community pressure now, they may repeat this betrayal
19 > later and thus can be trusted no longer.
20
21 Hey hey hey! Don't be so harsh. No one is perfect, everyone made mistakes,
22 and credits/money/ego is very usual "good" reason to made mistake.
23 Not all people is able to admit their mistakes and fix them, but we still
24 may believe in GrSec/PaX developers. Just give them some time to cool down
25 and a few good reasons to change their decision. They've pushed the
26 button, true, but they can also release the button if they will like to.
27 And tell it was a "training alert". :)
30 WBR, Alex.