From: Scott W Taylor <swtaylor@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] sweet flag-o-matic lubbin'
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 04:41:50
1 I'd hate to see ebuilds end up with something screwy-lookin like
2 "has_pie && filter-flags -fPIC"... There are a handful of ebuilds now
3 with the outdated "has_version hardened-gcc" that need *something* done
4 to them. filter-flags is a great thing for the ebuilds that'll work with
5 just that being added. But of course, its not a perfect world, and there
6 are makefiles and such that come from upstream that ignore CFLAGS and
7 need either CC set, or some sed love. Either way, we need some way to
8 handle the MANY ways that could cause a compiler to build pic/pie/ssp.
9 We aimed for something that was efficient, readable, and extensible.
10 There is either a branded gcc or some *FLAGS variable being set, and as
11 that is still somewhat up in the air, I would much rather see it get
12 written into one spot. Since flag-o-matic needs this information too and
13 its already inherited by the ebuilds that have BREG/SSP issues, it makes
14 the perfect home for this added function. Anyway, I like where we've
15 headed with this, and this would allow us to fix all the BREG-unhappy
16 ebuilds in a way thats not going to require 160 ebuilds to get changed
17 every 6 months.
21 Scott W Taylor <swtaylor@g.o>
25 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list