From: Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] sweet flag-o-matic lubbin'
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 04:14:19
1 Today swtaylor and I took our best stab at flag-o-matic.eclass wrt
2 PIE/SSP. Currently, most of the functionality is based on hardened-gcc,
3 and is less than flexibile today. Pappy has an updated version on
4 dev.g.o, but this one only accounts for the new "pappy gcc". See
5 http://dev.gentoo.org/~pappy/tmp/flag-o-matic.eclass for pappy's
6 approach.
7
8 What Scott and I came up with are entirely new functions in flag-o-matic
9 to use as triggers in ebuilds rather than the old "has_version
10 sys-devel/hardened-gcc", which is clearly invalid now.
11 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tseng/pax/flag-o-matic-has-pie_ssp.patch is what
12 we've come up with, and accounts for all PIE/SSP possibilities today,
13 namely CFLAGS, hardened-gcc, and pappy gcc. Note that has_pic and
14 has_pie currently take the same action, but where both added in the case
15 that differing functionality is needed at some point. Please examine our
16 logic, test, or propose any alternative approaches.
17
18 TIA.
21 Brandon Hale
22 Co-lead, Gentoo Desktop