From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: kevquinn@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Xorg testing desired
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:19:11
On monday May 30th the PaX Team sent me a testing patch for Xorg to make
it fully pic compliant/text relocation free.
I have been successfully using this patch for a few days now with my
hardware. We would appreciate it if we could get a little more testing
with this before passing it along to our Xorg maintainers and upstream.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/patches/xorg-x11-pic-notextrel.patch

I tested with.
x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1
  +3dfx -3dnow +bitmap-fonts -cjk -debug +dlloader -dmx -doc
  -font-server +hardened -insecure-drivers -ipv6 +minimal
  +mmx -nls +opengl -pam -sdk +sse -static +truetype-fonts
  +type1-fonts (-uclibc) +xprint +xv

You can use this command to confirm that it's free of text relocations.
scanelf -tq $(epm -q -l xorg-x11)

# scanelf comes from app-misc/pax-utils
# epm comes from app-portage/epm

Make sure it runs like normal.
Try glxgears before and after if your not using the +minimal USE flag
and have GL support.

thanks.

--
Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>