From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Mono build failure
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 12:49:04
1 > I've never been able to get mono to build with the hardened
2 > kernel extensions active. The problem, as you might have
3 > already deduced, is that mono violates some of hardened's
4 > protection bits -- specifically, the mono runtime tries to
5 > execute data as code. Once mono's installed you can flag
6 > the binary to permit this. But during the build, a new mono
7 > binary is built then run against some IL code, and it fails.
8
9 the best/proper solution is to patch the mono build process to
10 mark the intermediary results as well. either by explicitly
11 calling paxctl or passing -Wl,-z,execheap in CFLAGS when linking
12 the mono binary itself.
13
14 > I have always had success in building mono by keeping a
15 > separate kernel around without and of the GRSEC stuff
16 > compiled it.
17
18 you can use softmode for this purpose as well.
21 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list