From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Mono build failure
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 04:53:02
1 Chris S wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > Has anyone been able to build *any* version of mono under hardened profile?
5 >
6 > I've been chasing the error for a while now (all portage versions
7 > 1.1.4/5/6/7 fail with same error).
8
9 I've never been able to get mono to build with the hardened
10 kernel extensions active. The problem, as you might have
11 already deduced, is that mono violates some of hardened's
12 protection bits -- specifically, the mono runtime tries to
13 execute data as code. Once mono's installed you can flag
14 the binary to permit this. But during the build, a new mono
15 binary is built then run against some IL code, and it fails.
16
17 I have always had success in building mono by keeping a
18 separate kernel around without and of the GRSEC stuff
19 compiled it. It's a pain in the ass but works. I suspect
20 the only real 'solution' would be to somehow hack up the
21 ebuild to detect GRSEC and set the proper flags on the new
22 binary mid-build.
23
24 --Mike
25 --