From: Chris S <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Mono build failure
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 05:13:16
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2
3 > I've never been able to get mono to build with the hardened kernel
4 > extensions active. The problem, as you might have already deduced, is
5 > that mono violates some of hardened's protection bits -- specifically,
6 > the mono runtime tries to execute data as code. Once mono's installed
7 > you can flag the binary to permit this. But during the build, a new
8 > mono binary is built then run against some IL code, and it fails.
9 >
10 > I have always had success in building mono by keeping a separate
11 > kernel around without and of the GRSEC stuff compiled it. It's a pain
12 > in the ass but works. I suspect the only real 'solution' would be to
13 > somehow hack up the ebuild to detect GRSEC and set the proper flags on
14 > the new binary mid-build.
15
16 Thank you for your reply. This makes sense. I guess the problem is that
17 I need to run .net as a service on an internet visible server. I do not
18 however want to remove hardened just for the sake of .net support!
19 Do you think it is possible to create an entirely seperate chroot
20 environment on said server, from which to run apache on a non-standard
21 port, which is non-hardened and has mono support?
22
23 Cheers,
24 -c
27 > --Mike