From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Mono build failure
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:36:08
1 Chris S wrote:
2 > Mike Edenfield wrote:
3 >
4 >> I've never been able to get mono to build with the hardened kernel
5 >> extensions active. The problem, as you might have already deduced, is
6 >> that mono violates some of hardened's protection bits -- specifically,
7 >> the mono runtime tries to execute data as code. Once mono's installed
8 >> you can flag the binary to permit this. But during the build, a new
9 >> mono binary is built then run against some IL code, and it fails.
10 >>
11 >> I have always had success in building mono by keeping a separate
12 >> kernel around without and of the GRSEC stuff compiled it. It's a pain
13 >> in the ass but works. I suspect the only real 'solution' would be to
14 >> somehow hack up the ebuild to detect GRSEC and set the proper flags on
15 >> the new binary mid-build.
18 > Thank you for your reply. This makes sense. I guess the problem is that
19 > I need to run .net as a service on an internet visible server. I do not
20 > however want to remove hardened just for the sake of .net support!
21 > Do you think it is possible to create an entirely seperate chroot
22 > environment on said server, from which to run apache on a non-standard
23 > port, which is non-hardened and has mono support?
26 You don't need to disable the GRSEC stuff to run mono --
27 only to build it. Once it's build and in place in the right
28 spot, you can disable the memory protection bits just for
29 the `mono` binary. You can either put GRSEC into learning
30 mode and build a profile that way, or just manually toggle
31 the bits yourself. If I recall, you need to turn off NOEXEC
32 or PAGEEXEC, whichever you're using, as well as SEGMEXEC for
33 the mono binary.
36 -- Mike
37
38 Still using IE? Get Firefox!