From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] 2.6.27-hardened-r8: assassination
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 18:28:49
1 On 6 Mar 2009 at 17:13, Alex Efros wrote:
2
3 > Two questions:
4 > 1) Is "2.6.28.7 and PaX alone" mean hardened-sources-2.6.28 with
5 > everything except PaX switched off, or vanilla-sources-2.6.28.7 manually
6 > patched with latests PaX?
7
8 it's always the latter ;), i need to make sure it's a PaX problem.
9
10 > 2) I'm perl programmer, not C. So I need more detailed instructions (list
11 > of commands to run) how to "get coredumps and analyze them for the usual
12 > things". Probably this info already available somewhere, so url to this
13 > doc will be enough.
14
15 i mentioned them quite a few times on the list and bugzilla and the grsec forums,
16 here it is again. first, the coredump: you enable coredumps in your shell
17 (ulimit -c unlimited) then run your program that crashes. this will produce
18 a coredump file that you load into gdb and then issue the following gdb commands:
19
20 bt
21 x/8i $pc
22 x/8x $sp
23 info reg
24
25 > As for strace - did that, it helps me detect .so libraries (Ioncube and
26 > ZendOptimizer) because of which apache was killed.
27
28 on a second thought, i'd need the strace output regardless of the gdb analysis,
29 just to see how text relocations went as that's where the problem is probably.