From: Alby Lash <alby@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] hardened versus grsec-sources and related questions
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:20:04
1 Hello,
2
3 I have compiled and installed the grsec-sources (2.4.26-grsec-2.0) on
4 x86 platform with ease, and now I am trying to configure my acls. Per
5 the document:
6
7 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/grsecurity.xml
8
9 In code listing 8.1, I was unable to emerge grsecurity-base-policy as
10 it has been deprecated. I found selinux-base-policy and emerged it
11 along with gradm and chpax with no problems but now cannot find the
12 init script for enabling the grsecurity service (which might be
13 entitled something different?). Furthermore, when I gradm -E to start
14 the service, I always get an error, such as:
15
16 Error on line 2 of /etc/grsec/acl. Attempt to add an object without a
17 subject declaration.
18 The RBAC system will not load until this error is fixed.
19
20 With the ACL contents (default from earlier referenced page):
21
22 / {
23 /
24 /opt rx
25 /home rwx
26 /mnt r
27 /dev
28 /dev/mem h
29 /dev/kmem h
30 /dev/port h
31 /dev/null rw
32 /dev/pts rw
33 /dev/ptmx rw
34 /dev/dsp rw
35 /dev/mixer rw
36 /dev/console rw
37 /dev/log h
38 /dev/zero rw
39 /dev/random r
40 /dev/urandom r
41 /dev/input rw
42 /dev/initctl rw
43 /dev/psaux rw
44 /dev/tty rw
45 /dev/tty? rw
46 /dev/tty1? rw
47 /dev/vc rw
48 /bin rx
49 /sbin rx
50 /lib rx
51 /lib/security rx
52 /usr rx
53 /usr/lib rx
54 /boot r
55 /etc/grsec h
56 /etc rx
57 /etc/init.d rx
58 /etc/shadow- h
59 /etc/shadow h
60 /etc/postfix r
61 /proc rwx
62 /proc/sys r
63 /proc/kcore h
64 /root r
65 /root/.bash_history ra
66 /root/.history ra
67 /tmp rw
68 /var rx
69 /var/cache rw
70 /var/run rw
71 /var/tmp rw
72 /var/log h
73 /var/log/wtmp a
74 /var/spool rw
75 /var/spool/postfix/lib rx
76 /etc/ld.so.preload rw
77 /mnt/.init.d rwx
78
79 -CAP_ALL
80 }
83 Any idea what is going on with gradm? What is the difference between
84 selinux-base-policy and grsecurity-base-policy?
85
86 Is grsec-sources being deprecated in lieu of hardened-sources? I chose
87 grsec-sources because they are used in Gentoo infrastructure servers.
88
89 Would I be better off following documentation for hardened servers
90 instead of the grsecurity guide referenced above?
91
92 Anything I can do to help?
93
94 Thanks!