From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Alby Lash <alby@××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened versus grsec-sources and related questions
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:30:56
1 On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 09:19, Alby Lash wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have compiled and installed the grsec-sources (2.4.26-grsec-2.0) on
5 > x86 platform with ease, and now I am trying to configure my acls. Per
6 > the document:
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/grsecurity.xml
9
10 All references to this document have been removed for a reason which you
11 I'll explain in a sec.
12
13 > In code listing 8.1, I was unable to emerge grsecurity-base-policy as
14 > it has been deprecated. I found selinux-base-policy and emerged it
15 > along with gradm and chpax with no problems but now cannot find the
16 > init script for enabling the grsecurity service (which might be
17 > entitled something different?).
18
19 Ok slow down here guy.. selinux and grsecurity are not the same thing
20 (almost not even close). Trying to intermix polices will get you nowhere
21 fast.
22
23 > Furthermore, when I gradm -E to start
24 > the service, I always get an error, such as:
25
26 Ok what your doing wrong is your trying to use 1.9.x policies with a 2.0
27 system which will never work. Forget the idea of 1.9.x or hand patch
28 your own kernel to support it. Gentoo no longer supports 1.9.x in any of
29 it's kernels that I'm aware of.
30
31 grsec-2 however provides a powerful learning mode which you can and
32 should use on your own system to build a set of policies thats right for
33 your system vs some canned ones that we could waste our time and try to
34 provide you with.
35
36 I'm a slacker and writing docs is not something I enjoy doing for free.
37 So... this is all you get from me for now on the subject of creating
38 roles for your 2.x system
39 http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/xml/grsecurity2.html
43 > Error on line 2 of /etc/grsec/acl. Attempt to add an object without a
44 > subject declaration.
45 > The RBAC system will not load until this error is fixed.
46 >
47 > With the ACL contents (default from earlier referenced page):
48 >
49 > / {
50 > /
51 > /opt rx
52 > /home rwx
53 > /mnt r
54 > /dev
55 > /dev/mem h
56 > /dev/kmem h
57 > /dev/port h
58 > /dev/null rw
59 > /dev/pts rw
60 > /dev/ptmx rw
61 > /dev/dsp rw
62 > /dev/mixer rw
63 > /dev/console rw
64 > /dev/log h
65 > /dev/zero rw
66 > /dev/random r
67 > /dev/urandom r
68 > /dev/input rw
69 > /dev/initctl rw
70 > /dev/psaux rw
71 > /dev/tty rw
72 > /dev/tty? rw
73 > /dev/tty1? rw
74 > /dev/vc rw
75 > /bin rx
76 > /sbin rx
77 > /lib rx
78 > /lib/security rx
79 > /usr rx
80 > /usr/lib rx
81 > /boot r
82 > /etc/grsec h
83 > /etc rx
84 > /etc/init.d rx
85 > /etc/shadow- h
86 > /etc/shadow h
87 > /etc/postfix r
88 > /proc rwx
89 > /proc/sys r
90 > /proc/kcore h
91 > /root r
92 > /root/.bash_history ra
93 > /root/.history ra
94 > /tmp rw
95 > /var rx
96 > /var/cache rw
97 > /var/run rw
98 > /var/tmp rw
99 > /var/log h
100 > /var/log/wtmp a
101 > /var/spool rw
102 > /var/spool/postfix/lib rx
103 > /etc/ld.so.preload rw
104 > /mnt/.init.d rwx
105 >
106 > -CAP_ALL
107 > }
110 > Any idea what is going on with gradm? What is the difference between
111 > selinux-base-policy and grsecurity-base-policy?
114 > Is grsec-sources being deprecated in lieu of hardened-sources? I chose
115 > grsec-sources because they are used in Gentoo infrastructure servers.
116
117 No not at all. Gentoo is about giving users options. IE install what
118 ever the hell you want.
119 grsec-sources is a pure vanilla sources with the grsec current patches
120 (misc CAN patches if/when need be).
121
122 hardened-sources offers a little more in it's base (selinux||grsec)
123 depending on USE flags. It's not always quite as up2date as grsec
124 sources on the grsec side of things due to the nature of both how large
125 grsec patches are playing the offset game with patching (time becomes a
126 limit factor). There should be a README in the patch tarball of the
127 hardened-sources if you care to know whats provided by it.
130 > Would I be better off following documentation for hardened servers
131 > instead of the grsecurity guide referenced above?
136 > Anything I can do to help?
137
138 Probably not right away. You have quite a few concepts to learn about it
139 seems. You can write documentation, make a donation to the hardened
140 project, submit patches, etc..
141
142 I'd suggest that leaning the concepts of everything would be the ideal
143 route for you to go now.
144
145 -- PaX --
146 http://pax.grsecurity.net/docs/index.html
147
148 -- grsec2 --
149 http://grsecurity.net/quickstart.pdf
150 http://grsecurity.net/researchpaper.pdf
154 > Thanks!
155 >
156 > Alby
159 > --
160 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
161 --
162 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
163 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer