From: Miguel Sousa Filipe <m3thos@×××××××.pt>
To: solar@g.o
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, Alby Lash <alby@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened versus grsec-sources and related questions
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:44:39
1 Thanx for that url.
2
3 However, I must say that its not good policy to discontinue support on
4 one version, and using only a latter one that has so few or none
5 documentation.
6
7 I've read the docs supplied by spender, and I think they lack depth and
8 have very few info...
9 anyways, my 2.4.26-grsec2 is allready compiled and i'm going to try it
10 out....
11 :)
14 > I'm a slacker and writing docs is not something I enjoy doing for free.
15 > So... this is all you get from me for now on the subject of creating
16 > roles for your 2.x system
17 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/xml/grsecurity2.html
18 > (...)
19 > --
20 > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
21 > Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer
24 Now about grsec2, I was thinking about creating a "role" for
25 system/software maintenance, something like upgrading software,
26 changing config files, editing cron files.... since those are made
27 under supervision of a admin...
28 so that the ACL for the "regular & normal" funcioning would not involve
29 those tasks, and only the regular tasks the server runs.. that normally
30 aren't supervised.. one just leaves the machine running, doesn't stay
31 there watching all the time :)
32
33 is this the way the RBAC is supposed to be used?
34
35 and for bigger systems one could/should have roles for:
36 - backups and data recovery..
37 - operator actions has creating acounts, supplying new passwords...
38 - software upgrades and mantainance for admins..
39 - auditing/log checking....
40 - and true admin/root mode for users != root (normally the core admins)
41 - root just stays there...and can read the logs... start/stop services..
42
43 Is this the way grsec2 envisions?
44
45 I'm thinking in those actions/roles since thats more or less what I
46 have in a solaris university server with acounts for every student and
47 course.. wich gives 6000 acounts...
48 plus web serving, cvs server, mail server... ftp, ssh, the whole
49 buttload one can imagine...
50
51 and I'm allways looking/thinking in how could that be better managed
52 with a hardened linux...
53
54 Thanks for gentoo developers for supplying us with such a great distro!
55 ps: grsec rocks!
56 please reply to: miguel@×××××××××××.pt thanks!
57
58 Miguel Figueiredo Mascarenhas de Sousa Filipe
59 email: miguel@×××××××××××.pt (PORTUGAL)
60 http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~miguel
61
62 Equipa de Administracao de Sistemas
63 Rede das Novas Licenciaturas (RNL)
64 Instituto Superior Tecnico
65 http://www.rnl.ist.utl.pt
66 http://mega.ist.utl.pt
69 Miguel Figueiredo Mascarenhas de Sousa Filipe
70 email: miguel@×××××××××××.pt (PORTUGAL)
71 http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~miguel
72
73 Equipa de Administracao de Sistemas