From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Miguel Sousa Filipe <m3thos@×××××××.pt>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, Alby Lash <alby@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened versus grsec-sources and related questions
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:04:11
1 On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 08:44, Miguel Sousa Filipe wrote:
2 > Thanx for that url.
3 >
4 > However, I must say that its not good policy to discontinue support on
5 > one version, and using only a latter one that has so few or none
6 > documentation.
7
8 Sorry but we develop this stuff for free and I/we have a limited number
9 of developers working on this from a grsec angle. Actually it's really
10 only me and I've got myself spread somewhat thin within the gentoo
11 project now. One can of worms opens up another and before you know it
12 your on about every core herd within gentoo etc. So it was ideal for me
13 to kill off the old when spender decided to obsolete/deprecate 1.9.x in
14 order to keep things reasonably maintainable.
17 > I've read the docs supplied by spender, and I think they lack depth and
18 > have very few info...
19 > anyways, my 2.4.26-grsec2 is allready compiled and i'm going to try it
20 > out....
21 > :)
24 > > I'm a slacker and writing docs is not something I enjoy doing for free.
25 > > So... this is all you get from me for now on the subject of creating
26 > > roles for your 2.x system
27 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/xml/grsecurity2.html
28 > > (...)
29 > > --
30 > > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
31 > > Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer
34 > Now about grsec2, I was thinking about creating a "role" for
35 > system/software maintenance, something like upgrading software,
36 > changing config files, editing cron files.... since those are made
37 > under supervision of a admin...
38 > so that the ACL for the "regular & normal" funcioning would not involve
39 > those tasks, and only the regular tasks the server runs.. that normally
40 > aren't supervised.. one just leaves the machine running, doesn't stay
41 > there watching all the time :)
42 >
43 > is this the way the RBAC is supposed to be used?
44 >
45 > and for bigger systems one could/should have roles for:
46 > - backups and data recovery..
47 > - operator actions has creating acounts, supplying new passwords...
48 > - software upgrades and mantainance for admins..
49 > - auditing/log checking....
50 > - and true admin/root mode for users != root (normally the core admins)
51 > - root just stays there...and can read the logs... start/stop services..
52 >
53 > Is this the way grsec2 envisions?
54 >
55 > I'm thinking in those actions/roles since thats more or less what I
56 > have in a solaris university server with acounts for every student and
57 > course.. wich gives 6000 acounts...
58 > plus web serving, cvs server, mail server... ftp, ssh, the whole
59 > buttload one can imagine...
60 >
61 > and I'm allways looking/thinking in how could that be better managed
62 > with a hardened linux...
63 >
64 > Thanks for gentoo developers for supplying us with such a great distro!
65 > ps: grsec rocks!
66 > please reply to: miguel@×××××××××××.pt thanks!
67 >
68 > Miguel Figueiredo Mascarenhas de Sousa Filipe
69 > email: miguel@×××××××××××.pt (PORTUGAL)
70 > http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~miguel
71 >
72 > Equipa de Administracao de Sistemas
73 > Rede das Novas Licenciaturas (RNL)
74 > Instituto Superior Tecnico
75 > http://www.rnl.ist.utl.pt
76 > http://mega.ist.utl.pt
79 > Miguel Figueiredo Mascarenhas de Sousa Filipe
80 > email: miguel@×××××××××××.pt (PORTUGAL)
81 > http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~miguel
82 >
83 > Equipa de Administracao de Sistemas
84 > Rede das Novas Licenciaturas (RNL)
85 > Instituto Superior Tecnico
86 > http://www.rnl.ist.utl.pt
87 > http://mega.ist.utl.pt
90 > --
91 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
92 --
93 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
94 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer