From: Brian Davis <bridavis@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re : [gentoo-hardened] Which hardened (SUB)project
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:06:30
1 The way I plan to do it (as I'm in the middle of this process myself) is
2 to install everything first, and then run the RSBAC learning mode
3 supplied with gradm, then tweak the profile it creates.
4
5 Thanks,
6 Brian
7
8 Mathieu CASTEL wrote:
9 > So I think I ll go for the RSBAC security, but I have a question....is
10 > it better to first install and configure all the services on the
11 > server and then add the rsbac or install a basic system and do the
12 > instal of RSBAC, and then the other services?
16 > ----- Message d'origine ----
17 > De : Francesco Riosa <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
18 > À : gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
19 > Envoyé le : Mercredi, 15 Novembre 2006, 17h53mn 19s
20 > Objet : Re: [gentoo-hardened] Which hardened (SUB)project
21 >
22 > Steev Klimaszewski wrote:
23 > > Francesco Riosa wrote:
24 > >> Brian Davis wrote:
25 > >>>
26 > >>> Francesco Riosa wrote:
27 > >>>> Brian Davis wrote:
28 > >>>>
29 > >>>>> The only comment I'll make is that Reiserfs doesn't support SELinux.
30 > >>>>>
31 > >>>> That it's "non issue" for a new server, reiser3 is getting obsolete,
32 > >>>> it's advantages are not enough to try the risk,
33 > >>> Why do you say that?
34 > >> - upstream has serious real life troubles
35 > >> - SuSE is not anymore so interested in reiser3
36 > >> - a continuously changing linux kernel may lock a reiser user to an old
37 > >> version (pain for a security oriented system)
38 > >> - ext3 evolving and becoming ext4 in a reasonable mount of time
39 > >> - major advantages only with _many_ files in one single directory
40 > >>
41 > >> don't get me wrong I liked and still like reiserfs but it's time is
42 > gone
43 > >>
44 > >
45 > > I've been lurking on this list for a while, running a couple of
46 > > hardened servers, and the Gentoo guidelines for servers suggest reiser
47 > > as the fs. I guess my couple of questions are,
48 > >
49 > > 1) What does what SUSE's interest in reiser have to do with anything?
50 > > (Serious question here, not an attempt at a troll, I really am curious
51 > > as I don't follow along very closely)
52 > And it's a good question, reiserfs is opensource and so the interest of
53 > only a subject (SuSE) is moot, but my feelings are the the community is
54 > not any more interested in support reiser3 very much (obviously speaking
55 > of feelings this opinion is moot too ).
56 > Peter Volkov has already pointed out why and when SuSE decided to choose
57 > other roads (may worth read it).
58 > >
59 > > 2) Is there anything other than backing up a partition, and mkfs'ing
60 > > to a different format? I.E. some type of conversion utility for
61 > > reiserfs->other format?
62 > No, but backup and restore is not something that someone want to
63 > schedule expecially with a great amount of data
64 > , it may take hours (days) and the fact that you must consider it
65 > choosing reiserfs3 now is still a detractive point.
68 > People, this look like no more an "gentoo-hardened" issue, wont to end
69 > the discussion (if needed) via private mail?
70 > if you chose that, please write to "francesco"at"pnpitalia".it it's more
71 > likely to get an answer.
72 > sorry for the spam
73 >
74 > --
75 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
80 > Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos
81 > questions ! Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des
82 > expériences des internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses
83 > <http://fr.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42054/*http://fr.answers.yahoo.com>.
84 --
85 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list