From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re : [gentoo-hardened] Which hardened (SUB)project
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:20:28
1 That is how I (newbie) have been doing it.... install/get everything
2 working as I like it, then use learning mode to both document and enforce
3 how things relate. (the Policy file, built from learning mode, makes for
4 interesting reading as documentation :-) )
5
6 Gradm/grsecurity works extremely well, but lacks a clear "getting started"
7 paragraph IMHO. Don't give up....... it's quite manageable once you crack
8 the access codes (e.g. "h" means hidden), and some of Gradm's caveats
9 (e.g. nothing is allowed access to certain /dev/ files). So, for example,
10 either you have
11
12 /dev h (which simply hides all of /dev - no
13 access needed)
14
15 or
16
17 /dev h
18 /dev/tty r (hides all of /dev except allows
19 reading tty)
20
21 or else you allow access to all of /dev, but prohibit access to the
22 critical areas, e.g.
23
24 /dev
25 /dev/grsec h
26 /dev/mem h
27 /dev/kmem h
28
29 There are other critical "files", and you'll get good diagnostic messages
30 when you run gradm -E. You simply edit policy and tweak away 'til it
31 starts up clean. Do it a few times and it'll start making sense.
32
33 These were the areas that confused me at first; I've not described them
34 well, but maybe this'll get you by the first run.
35
36 HTH, Newbie
39 > The way I plan to do it (as I'm in the middle of this process myself) is
40 > to install everything first, and then run the RSBAC learning mode
41 > supplied with gradm, then tweak the profile it creates.
42 >
43 > Thanks,
44 > Brian
45 >
46 > Mathieu CASTEL wrote:
47 >> So I think I ll go for the RSBAC security, but I have a question....is
48 >> it better to first install and configure all the services on the server
49 >> and then add the rsbac or install a basic system and do the instal of
50 >> RSBAC, and then the other services?
53 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list