From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Which hardened (SUB)project
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:37:05
1 Francesco Riosa wrote:
2 > Brian Davis wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Francesco Riosa wrote:
5 >>> Brian Davis wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> The only comment I'll make is that Reiserfs doesn't support SELinux.
8 >>>>
9 >>> That it's "non issue" for a new server, reiser3 is getting obsolete,
10 >>> it's advantages are not enough to try the risk,
11 >> Why do you say that?
12 > - upstream has serious real life troubles
13 > - SuSE is not anymore so interested in reiser3
14 > - a continuously changing linux kernel may lock a reiser user to an old
15 > version (pain for a security oriented system)
16 > - ext3 evolving and becoming ext4 in a reasonable mount of time
17 > - major advantages only with _many_ files in one single directory
18 >
19 > don't get me wrong I liked and still like reiserfs but it's time is gone
22 I've been lurking on this list for a while, running a couple of hardened
23 servers, and the Gentoo guidelines for servers suggest reiser as the fs.
24 I guess my couple of questions are,
25
26 1) What does what SUSE's interest in reiser have to do with anything?
27 (Serious question here, not an attempt at a troll, I really am curious
28 as I don't follow along very closely)
29
30 2) Is there anything other than backing up a partition, and mkfs'ing to
31 a different format? I.E. some type of conversion utility for
32 reiserfs->other format?
33 --
34 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list