From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Required Priorities (Security) = slow server
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 03:02:30
1 On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM, "Tóth Attila" <atoth@××××××××××.hu> wrote:
2 > That is exactly what hardened sources package maintainers do.
3 > There's always a tiny time difference between the latest grsecurity patch
4 > showing up on the homepage and the respective kernel ebuild appears.
5
6 First, I would like to note that I appreciate very much Anthony's
7 dedication to maintaining hardened-sources.
8
9 The situation with stabilizing hardened-sources versions, as I see it,
10 is problematic because grsecurity / PaX upstream only supports a
11 couple of kernels they consider stable (currently, 2.6.32 and 3.2),
12 and the very latest kernel as unstable (currently, 3.5). They don't
13 release patches for interim kernels [1]. So the issue with stabilizing
14 those versions (say, 3.4) is moot — the upstream kernel might be
15 stable, but grsecurity / PaX patches are frozen in time. This results
16 in a weird situation if you want, e.g., a stable kernel that's more
17 modern than 3.2, but don't want EFI-related bugs [2] that were fixed
18 by grsecurity after they switched to 3.5 series for testing.
19
20 Ideally, grsecurity could release patches for each kernel series after
21 latest stable (currently, 3.2), but that would probably require too
22 much resources.
23
24 [1] http://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2980
25 [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/428726, https://bugs.gentoo.org/430122