From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] locked out of selinux
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:57:56
1 max wrote:
2 > Matt Harrison wrote:
3 >> max wrote:
4 >>> Matt Harrison wrote:
5 >>>> Matt Harrison wrote:
6 >>>>> I previously installed a virtual machine with selinux etc to see if I
7 >>>>> could get my head round it and it all worked fine.
8 >>>> Actually this isn't true, when enabling enforce on my test machine it
9 >>>> locks me out of everything as well.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> This is a complete mystery to me and quite disappointing.
12 >>>>
13 >>> set selinux to permissive and check the logs when the box comes up
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> Thanks for the reply,
17 >>
18 >> Ok, firstly if I boot up in enforcing mode it halts saying something
19 >> like access to /sbin/init was denied.
20 >>
21 >> If I boot up permissive I get tonnes of denied messages in dmesg.
22 >> There's far too many to list so I've attached a trimmed dmesg output,
23 >> starting from the first related message.
24 >>
25 >> From my untrained eye looking over these messages it seems that a lot of
26 >> core system stuff is being denied access, why I have no clue, everything
27 >> should be labelled and setup according to the gentoo selinux howto.
28 >>
29 >> Grateful for any input.
30 >>
31 >> Thanks
32 >>
33 >> Matt
34 > Do you happen to have the build.conf file for your policy? I am still
35 > working on building my gentoo box, i mainly run fedora but I notice
36 > that, at least on Fedora, the following is set to allow(From your dmesg):
37 >
38 > security: class peer not defined in policy
39 > security: class capability2 not defined in policy
40 > security: permission recvfrom in class node not defined in policy
41 > security: permission sendto in class node not defined in policy
42 > security: permission ingress in class netif not defined in policy
43 > security: permission egress in class netif not defined in policy
44 > security: permission setfcap in class capability not defined in policy
45 > security: permission flow_in in class packet not defined in policy
46 > security: permission flow_out in class packet not defined in policy
47 > security: permission forward_in in class packet not defined in policy
48 > security: permission forward_out in class packet not defined in policy
49 > SELinux: Completing initialization.
50 > SELinux: Setting up existing superblocks.
51 >
52 > SELinux: policy loaded with handle_unknown=deny
53 >
54 > If i compile a policy on Fedora this is always set to allow, if not I
55 > usually run into problems like your having, I don't know enough about
56 > gentoo to know if this is supposed to be this way here or not, perhaps
57 > someone else can supply the answer. The description in the build.conf file:
58 >> # Unknown Permissions Handling
59 >> # The behavior for handling permissions defined in the
60 >> # kernel but missing from the policy. The permissions
61 >> # can either be allowed, denied, or the policy loading
62 >> # can be rejected.
63 >> # allow, deny, and reject are current options.
64 >
65 > You could try recompiling the policy with this set to allow, that, i
66 > think, should resolve the issue for you but I don't really know how
67 > different the default fedora and gentoo policies are so take it with a
68 > grain of salt. Aside from that I could only suggest running the denials
69 > through audit to allow2allow but I think changing that option there is
70 > your best bet. Your showing quite a few things not defined in policy and
71 > they are getting denied.
72 >
73 > UNK_PERMS=allow
76 > -Max
79 This is a totally standard policy, I haven't modified anything since the
80 emerges. Since I haven't modified anything I'm not sure where to find
81 the build.conf. Where might I be able to find it?
82
83 Thanks
84
85 Matt