From: max <maximilianbianco@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] locked out of selinux
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:28:45
1 Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > max wrote:
3 >> Matt Harrison wrote:
4 >>> Matt Harrison wrote:
5 >>>> I previously installed a virtual machine with selinux etc to see if I
6 >>>> could get my head round it and it all worked fine.
7 >>> Actually this isn't true, when enabling enforce on my test machine it
8 >>> locks me out of everything as well.
9 >>>
10 >>> This is a complete mystery to me and quite disappointing.
11 >>>
12 >> set selinux to permissive and check the logs when the box comes up
15 > Thanks for the reply,
16 >
17 > Ok, firstly if I boot up in enforcing mode it halts saying something
18 > like access to /sbin/init was denied.
19 >
20 > If I boot up permissive I get tonnes of denied messages in dmesg.
21 > There's far too many to list so I've attached a trimmed dmesg output,
22 > starting from the first related message.
23 >
24 > From my untrained eye looking over these messages it seems that a lot of
25 > core system stuff is being denied access, why I have no clue, everything
26 > should be labelled and setup according to the gentoo selinux howto.
27 >
28 > Grateful for any input.
29 >
30 > Thanks
31 >
32 > Matt
33 Do you happen to have the build.conf file for your policy? I am still
34 working on building my gentoo box, i mainly run fedora but I notice
35 that, at least on Fedora, the following is set to allow(From your dmesg):
36
37 security: class peer not defined in policy
38 security: class capability2 not defined in policy
39 security: permission recvfrom in class node not defined in policy
40 security: permission sendto in class node not defined in policy
41 security: permission ingress in class netif not defined in policy
42 security: permission egress in class netif not defined in policy
43 security: permission setfcap in class capability not defined in policy
44 security: permission flow_in in class packet not defined in policy
45 security: permission flow_out in class packet not defined in policy
46 security: permission forward_in in class packet not defined in policy
47 security: permission forward_out in class packet not defined in policy
48 SELinux: Completing initialization.
49 SELinux: Setting up existing superblocks.
50
51 SELinux: policy loaded with handle_unknown=deny
52
53 If i compile a policy on Fedora this is always set to allow, if not I
54 usually run into problems like your having, I don't know enough about
55 gentoo to know if this is supposed to be this way here or not, perhaps
56 someone else can supply the answer. The description in the build.conf file:
57 > # Unknown Permissions Handling
58 > # The behavior for handling permissions defined in the
59 > # kernel but missing from the policy. The permissions
60 > # can either be allowed, denied, or the policy loading
61 > # can be rejected.
62 > # allow, deny, and reject are current options.
63
64 You could try recompiling the policy with this set to allow, that, i
65 think, should resolve the issue for you but I don't really know how
66 different the default fedora and gentoo policies are so take it with a
67 grain of salt. Aside from that I could only suggest running the denials
68 through audit to allow2allow but I think changing that option there is
69 your best bet. Your showing quite a few things not defined in policy
70 and they are getting denied.
71
72 UNK_PERMS=allow
75 -Max