From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Vconfig on a selinux box
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 14:40:02
1 On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 20:59 +0200, Aleksander Kamil Modzelewski wrote:
2 > I am trying to set up vlans (and several other things) on a hardened gentoo
3 > box. I found out, that moving the vconfig to ifconfig_exec_t makes it almost
4 > done, and I have seen that done with tc and ip, _but_ I'd like to just feel
5 > sure that this is the right way.
6
7 Here are a few questions to try to help you answer your question.
8
9 1. How conceptually similar is vconfig to ifconfig in terms of
10 functionality?
11
12 2. By running vconfig in ifconfig_t and adding permissions to ifconfig_t
13 to make vconfig work, will this give ifconfig permissions that it
14 doesn't need that could be exploited? For example, giving ifconfig_t
15 sys_admin capability or raw disk access, or reading shadow_t, or even
16 something simple like writing to etc_t.
17
18 If you answered "very similar" for #1 and "no" for #2, you've probably
19 made the right decision. If you say "very similar" for #1, and "yes"
20 for #2, you should probably copy the ifconfig.te to vconfig.te and
21 rename the types in vconfig.te (s/ifconfig/vconfig/g), and add your
22 policy there. If you say "not very similar" for #1, then you probably
23 made the wrong decision.
24
25 I can't say for sure what the right course of action is until you show
26 us the policy you've added. :)
29 Chris PeBenito
30 <pebenito@g.o>
31 Developer,
32 Hardened Gentoo Linux
33 Embedded Gentoo Linux
34
35 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
36 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243