From: Aaron Held <aaron@×××××××.com>
To: method@g.o
Cc: dscott@×××××××××××.com, gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] A few thoughts
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:03:36
1 My thoughts:
2 Gentoo is about choice and Gentoo Hardened is about adding the
3 advanced security features that are available in the linux/open source
4 world to the stock gentoo distro.
5
6 I think that the problem going forward is that a 'secure' distro
7 means different things to different people.
8 I run a Gentoo based firewall / gateway server. On this box my idea
9 of security is mainly shutting off (or not installing) unecessary
10 services and a good IPTables / firewall config. Maybe some IDS and
11 every now and then I run etheral for a while.
12 On this box I think about things like caching dns and squid.
13
14 On another box I host multiple domains and run a bunch of differnent
15 services for different companies. On this server I am interested in the
16 ACL's, chroot jails, and the things that I am hearing about on Gentoo
17 Hardened.
18
19 As far as the qmail issue - I like qmail, but also dislike djb's
20 complete "do it my way" attitude. Personally I run qmail from xinit
21 rather then tcpwappers, making qmail 'fit' into my distro better.
22
23 I would like to see two levels of gentoo hardened
24 1) Integration of the secure software into Gentoo
25 How to install things like ACL's, kernal patches....
26 2) How to use these packages:
27 How to use ACL's to protect files..
28 3) Best practices
29 How to audit logsfiles
30
31 So rather then how to replace sendmail w/ qmail lets document how to use
32 ACL's and chroot to protect your MTA, and then maybe give a specific
33 qmail example.
34
35 I installed shorewall, but even after the install there were a number of
36 items I had to manually finish off, things like editing
37 /etc/ssmtp/ssmpt.conf so the sendmail stub can work when an event it
38 fired from metalog based on a log entry generated by shorewall.
39 I will try to document that for the list, but Gentoo specific
40 instructions like emergeing the kernel source for netfilter and updating
41 the ebuild to look for metalog rather then syslog.
42
43 Thanks,
44 -Aaron Held
45
46 Joshua Brindle wrote:
47
48 >I think that there are very many distributions build on that premise, however this
49 >is not really a goal of gentoo-hardened for this reason: Gentoo is based
50 >on availability of choice. We will provide applications considered secure (those
51 >listed are all in portage) but we won't restrict users to anything.
52 >
53 >The gentoo-hardened project is to build a security hardened distribution using
54 >known security mechanisms and tools available. That includes ACL's MACS,
55 >auditing, chrooting, stack protection, adding security patches wherever possible
56 >et al. in theory once an installation is complete one could give out their root
57 >password and not worry about any problems (russell coker provides the root
58 >password to his selinux play machine to demonstrate the security provided
59 >by selinux, this machine hasn't been compromised at all.
60 >
61 >We will be handling documentation, and we can certainly give our opinions
62 >or widely thought beliefs about the security impacts of certain applications.
63 >
64 >Also, I am a fairly security aware person, but i do not share your sentiment about
65 >djb's work so I find it hard to recomment his software to users. This is not
66 >an opinion formed about the security of his products, the opinion is based
67 >on his treatment of the opensource world, and the non-rfc compliance of his
68 >applications. This IS a personal opinion so i don't want a flamewar on this list,
69 >if you wish to flame me come to irc and scream all you want :)
70 >
71 >Joshua Brindle
75 >>>><dscott@×××××××××××.com> 03/19/03 04:14PM >>>
76 >>>>
77 >>>>
78 >Hello All,
79 >
80 >My thought:
81 >I would like to see a secure distribution that would strongly encourage users to use proven audited applications and daemons.
82 >ie: qmail, djbdns, pure-ftpd, etc etc.
83 >
84 >D.
91 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list