From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] 'paxctl -m bin' everything that complains?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 03:08:41
1 >>> Check out 'ulimit -a' or search for 'ulimit' in bash(1).
2 >>
3 >> I read about ulimit and I'm wondering if I need to worry about
4 >> increasing that coredump size from zero. Can I just ignore those
5 >> grsec messages without causing a problem?
6 >
7 > Allowing core dumps will enable failed applications to dump a copy of
8 > their memory to disk; generally this only causes issues if you're
9 > disk-space sensitive. It can also be an issue for applications that
10 > hold sensitive data (like passwords) in-memory.
11 >
12 > If you can, yes - just ignore the RLIMIT_CORE ones. You probably want
13 > to find out why applications are trying to dump, but the messages are
14 > a symptom rather than the cause.
15
16 It turns out I need to issue 'paxctl -m
17 /usr/lib64/mozilla-firefox/firefox' to prevent firefox from crashing
18 when watching a cnn.com video. Is that a huge security issue?
19
20 - Grant