From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] 'paxctl -m bin' everything that complains?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 21:08:05
1 On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 14:01, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> Check out 'ulimit -a' or search for 'ulimit' in bash(1).
3 >
4 > I read about ulimit and I'm wondering if I need to worry about
5 > increasing that coredump size from zero. Can I just ignore those
6 > grsec messages without causing a problem?
7
8 Allowing core dumps will enable failed applications to dump a copy of
9 their memory to disk; generally this only causes issues if you're
10 disk-space sensitive. It can also be an issue for applications that
11 hold sensitive data (like passwords) in-memory.
12
13 If you can, yes - just ignore the RLIMIT_CORE ones. You probably want
14 to find out why applications are trying to dump, but the messages are
15 a symptom rather than the cause.