From: atoth@××××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Keeping gentoo-hardened alive
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:34:49
1 On Sze, Február 13, 2008 13:08, Geoff Kassel wrote:
2 >
3 > I like the idea of the SELinux per-application policies. I've never used
4 > them
5 > or SELinux, though, so I don't know how effective or simple they are to
6 > use
7 > IRL. Anyone else care to comment on this?
8
9 Chris PeBenito is the person who probably have the most detailed knowledge
10 of SELinux here. I think it's more complex to develop a policy for an
11 application using SELinux, but a well designed framework provides
12 guidance. Targeted mode offers a chance to create a balance between
13 security and usability giving the chance for the everyday user to make use
14 of the technique without having to spend time on the policy or facing with
15 failing applications.
18 >> I think many of us could contribute to the
19 >> policy. The hardest task would be to agree on the differences regarding
20 >> the security requirements. But that could be made configurable also.
21 >> Configuration intelligence could investigate the contents of the conf
22 >> directory to tailor the policy to the specific settings...
23 >
24 > Hmm... configuration-wise, I'm envisioning a directory tree under
25 > /etc/grsec
26 > with per-user and per-application branches (because detailed grsec policy
27 > files get very big very quickly), so that differences or changes in
28 > requirements can be managed easily via comparing differences between flat
29 > files.
30
31 We could have something similar to SELinux here. I mean: a policy
32 structure in directories, which could be used to generate the final policy
33 file. That would keep the effort in userland.
36 >> I have to regularly revise my policy to keep the box running. I've also
37 >> ended up loosening the security in order to make the system usable.
38 >
39 > As much maligned as Vista's UAC system is, I feel there's one positive
40 > thing
41 > about it - it's handy to have a mechanism to notify the user about
42 > potential
43
44 Udev-event based mechanism for eg.
47 > How about a user-configurable UI (something that could be run on a bare
48 > TTY,
49 > like, say, tty11, or on any other command line, for that matter) for the
50 > management system - secured from physical intrusion by sudo-style logins
51 > for
52
53 RSBAC have console type graphical UI for config editing.
54 I really like the idea of having a separate security officer in RSBAC as
55 well as the separate authentication system for grsecurity. It's a second
56 line defense mechanism makes it harder to bypass. But it also makes harder
57 to an everyday user to easily tamper with the security policy. I think
58 this second line should be kept.
59
60 < snip >
61 >
62 > Evasive procedures would have to be controlled and managed centrally by an
63 > administrator, of course, as the whole system could be compromised if the
64 > wrong decision is made by a user. But everything else could end up in a
65 > file
66 > stored for each user - say in ~/.grsec - which would be referenced by any
67 > (G)UI access control management clients.
68
69 That's way to much for me for now...
70
71 Regards,
72 Dw.
76 dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus Szakorvos jelölt, 06-20-825-8057, 06-30-5962-962
77 Attila Toth MD, Radiologist in Training, +36-20-825-8057, +36-30-5962-962
80 gentoo-hardened@l.g.o mailing list