From: Geoff Kassel <gkassel@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Keeping gentoo-hardened alive
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:08:30
1 > It would be a good strategy IMHO to recruit graduates to work on security
2 > stuff. It's a really fascinating topic to immerse in the depth of the
3 > toolchain and its security features - for a passionate graduate. Of course
4 > it requires a supervisor...
5
6 Any PhD supervisors in computer science academia on the list? I dropped out of
7 my PhD due to illness and haven't gone back, so I can't supervise any PhD
8 students in this area, unfortunately.
9
10 > I think grsec would need some kind of configuration mechanism similar to
11 > SELinux. It could be either implemented on a per-ebuild basis or as a base
12 > policy.
13
14 I like the idea of the SELinux per-application policies. I've never used them
15 or SELinux, though, so I don't know how effective or simple they are to use
16 IRL. Anyone else care to comment on this?
17
18 > That could be further extended with additional features according
19 > to the particular box. Using m4 would be a good candidate to generate the
20 > redundant per user stuff.
21
22 Oh yes, this is the most tedious part of the grsec configuration. A good UI
23 tool of some kind would help gloss over this. (If we're still talking
24 hypothetical features here.)
25
26 > I think many of us could contribute to the
27 > policy. The hardest task would be to agree on the differences regarding
28 > the security requirements. But that could be made configurable also.
29 > Configuration intelligence could investigate the contents of the conf
30 > directory to tailor the policy to the specific settings...
31
32 Hmm... configuration-wise, I'm envisioning a directory tree under /etc/grsec
33 with per-user and per-application branches (because detailed grsec policy
34 files get very big very quickly), so that differences or changes in
35 requirements can be managed easily via comparing differences between flat
36 files.
37
38 You could then provide different sample configurations at install time based
39 on different common security requirements, and make it easy for either manual
40 or (G)UI configuration of the grsec security system.
41
42 Applying policies post-install then becomes a matter of inserting new
43 configuration files under the appropriate per-application and per-user
44 directories. Conflicts with existing files are then managed by the system
45 administrator running etc-update.
46
47 > I have to regularly revise my policy to keep the box running. I've also
48 > ended up loosening the security in order to make the system usable.
49
50 As much maligned as Vista's UAC system is, I feel there's one positive thing
51 about it - it's handy to have a mechanism to notify the user about potential
52 security violations or issues in real time, to avoid usability problems like
53 this from preventing basic system function. It's best if it can be done in a
54 way that notifications can be hidden, filtered, and managed by the
55 user/administrator in an adaptive way that avoids the 'just click allow'
56 mentality, which is where I feel the Vista UAC gets it wrong. (And ends up
57 causing just as many security problems as it's supposed to solve.)
58
59 How about a user-configurable UI (something that could be run on a bare TTY,
60 like, say, tty11, or on any other command line, for that matter) for the
61 management system - secured from physical intrusion by sudo-style logins for
62 each management decision, if desired - with applicable X/Gnome/KDE/your
63 favourite WM clients for real-time notifications and configuration?
64
65 (Someone please tell me if I'm reinventing the wheel here, and SELinux has had
66 this for years.)
67
68 > I think it depends on the type of denial. If it's a textrel, that's not so
69 > serious. However if it's a stack-smashing: I don't want to have a single
70 > piece of those code on my system...
71
72 Agreed. So expanding on your ideas, with a hypothetical adaptive access
73 control management system, textrels could automatically be filtered out
74 without notification. (Although if it's a GUI application with textrels, and
75 a suitably integrated window manager is running, I'd like to see a tiny icon
76 like Konqueror's Javascript bug icon appear to shame the program author into
77 tidying up their code.)
78
79 Stack smashing attacks should continue to automatically trigger an immediate
80 termination of the process and a core dump like they do now - but could also
81 do additional things like quarantine the parent executable so that it can't
82 be easily run again by the user. (Like what good anti-malware software does
83 on Windows.)
84
85 Evasive procedures would have to be controlled and managed centrally by an
86 administrator, of course, as the whole system could be compromised if the
87 wrong decision is made by a user. But everything else could end up in a file
88 stored for each user - say in ~/.grsec - which would be referenced by any
89 (G)UI access control management clients.
90
91 Sound reasonable?
92
93 Okay, enough daydreaming for me now :)
94
95 Regards,
96
97 Geoff Kassel.